Exercises for Weyna and Gella
A.How much did you understand?
In the story there was a mother fox. She had two little cubs, and their names were Weyna and Gella. Mother Fox told her cubs to stay inside when she went out to look for food.
Put the sentences 1, 2 and 3 in the right order.
- But one day a hyena passed the fox's house, and he heard the cubs’ voices.
- So every day the cubs stayed inside the house.
- "Don't open the door. Listen for my voice.”
The hyena watched the Mother Fox singing her song to her cubs. So he made a plan.
Put the sentences 4, 5, and 6 in the right order.
- "That is our mother’s voice," said the fox cubs. "It's soft and sweet.”
- The hyena was waiting. He ran up to the door of the foxes’ house and knocked on it.
- He ate some honey and his voice became sweet.
Mother Fox realised that the hyena had eaten her cubs. So she made a plan.
Put the sentences 7, 8, and 9 in the right order.
- The next day, she made a big hole in the ground and she put a goatskin over it.
- So the hyena sat on the goatskin and he fell down into the hole.
- Then, in the dust by the door she saw the marks of the hyena’s feet.
B. Who sings?
You have read this song five times in the story:
"Weyna and Gella,
My children dear,
Open the door,
Your mother is here."
- Who sings it the first time?
- Who calls it out the second time?
- Who calls it out the third time?
- Who says it the fourth time?
- Who calls it out the fifth time?
Match the beginnings of sentences 1, 2 and 3 with the endings a, b, or c.
- So every day the cubs stayed inside the house ……
- He ran up to the door of the foxes’ house ......
- So the cubs opened the door, and the hyena ran into the house ......
- ...... and knocked on it.
- ....... and ate both of them.
- ....... and their mother hunted for food.
D. What do you think?
Was it right for Mother Fox to leave the fox cubs alone in the house?
Did Mother Fox make it too easy for the hyena to learn their secret song?
Why do you think the hyena agreed to come and eat with Mother Fox?
Was it right for Mother Fox to kill the hyena?